Monday, September 15, 2008


I had an AHA moment yesterday. I was watching Mystery Diagnosis, that show is addictive. Anyway they started thinking that a patient had vitamin B 12 deficiency. I know that I am deficient in B 12 after having a bowel resection for my Crohn's many years ago.
My current GI asked me in one of our initial visits when I'd had my last B 12 shot. Shot? What shot? He couldn't believe that no one had mentioned to me that my B 12 was low and that I could no longer absorb it and needed replacements. Instead of going into the local clinic every month for a shot, I got a bottle (prescription) of B 12 and my boss, who was a nurse for many years gave me my shots. Well, at some point we both pretty much forgot about them. I haven't had a shot in over a year or more.
Yesterday when I started hearing some of the symptoms of low B 12 it occured to me that I better get back to those shots, as I have a lot of those symptoms. You would think I would of researched the symptoms at some point after Dr. Johnson told me I was deficient. But nope, good thing I heard about it yesterday.
Symptoms of low B 12


You might not have any symptoms if your vitamin B-12 level is just a little bit
low. However, a very low vitamin B-12 level can cause anemia, depression,
dementia or a serious problem with your nervous system.


Some people with low
vitamin B-12 also have high levels of homocysteine (say: ho-mo-sis-teen), an
amino acid (a building block of protein) in the blood. If you have both of these
problems, you may have a higher risk of heart disease and stroke

.

No comments: