Saturday, May 2, 2009

In 1730, cocoa beans had dropped in price from $3 per pound to being within the financial reach of those other than the very wealthy.
Sat/Sun
May 2/3

Well, since we leave for Milwaukee in less than thirty six hours you'd think I was getting things in order. Nope. Haven't packed a thing, have barely made a list, have cleaned no house or done any laundry. But I suppose that everything that really needs to be done, will be.
I'm not sure why I'm dragging my feet. I really want to put the kids' Cushing's behind us, yet I feel reluctant to go. I'm not sure what's up with me at the moment.
Justin is off work now until sometime after his surgery. He went with us to take Dad to lunch today. Good timing on my part since I was planning on cleaning up Dad's rosebushes. He was a big help to Jess & I. Maybe I should say that we helped him. The bed looks good and there are a few new growths coming up. I really hope the bush comes back to all it's glory. My mom said it was there when she was a kid and she would be close to ninety now. I grew up on the same farm my mom did.
I suppose these roses would be considered antiques but when I have looked at sites featuring antique roses I've never seen any that look like these. They have hundreds of petals and smell so good. I wish I had a photo to send to some experts on antique roses. I'm sure there will be no roses on the new growth this year and would wonder if there will be any for the next couple of years. I hope Dad gets to see them bloom again. He always liked those roses. I'm going to try and transplant some to my place some year. All my sisters have tried and never had any luck, but they told me they never worked too hard at it. They all are much better gardeners than me, so I'm not sure why I think I can do something they couldn't. But we'll see.
Somehow it's easier to talk about roses than it is to get started on the things I need to get done.

No comments: