Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Fudge was first sold by Emelyn Battersby Hartridge, a student at Vassar College. Hartridge go hold of a friend's recipe, and in 1888 made thirty pounds of fudge for the Vassar Senior Auction.
Wednesday
February 18


I took a chance today.
A lady and her two kids came in for passport photos. The son walked in first and it was like seeing Justin about ten years ago. He was built the same, very stocky, had bright red chubby cheeks. He could of been Justin, he even acted a lot like Justin would of in the same situation. Although I don't know if that means anything.
Instead of waiting for the photos they were coming back in a few minutes. That gave me time to decide whether to say anything. I honestly didn't know whether I should. It could be a very touchy subject and I could alienate a customer who could cause all kinds of trouble if she chose to. I decided to play it by ear, partly it would depend on if the kids came back in with her.
She came in when there were a couple of other people in the store so I pretty much ruled out talking to her about Cushing's. But she just looked around until the others had left. Her kids weren't with her.
So I took a chance. She didn't get upset. I ended up printing a brochure on Cushing's (taken from the Cushing's web site) for her. She did say that her husband had died about three years ago. She told me he had been a very big man and died too young but the doctors did not know why. She said she knew something was wrong with him but wasn't really sure what.
She also mentioned that her daughter was four. I would of thought a lot older judging from her height. I know I was trying to size her up and compare her to her brother while I was taking her photo. I had decided she was a toss up.
I also gave the lady my phone number. Truthfully, I don't expect anything to happen. I don't think people seek help until they are desperate. But all I can do is give them information on where to get help, I can't get the help for them.

Bill said they finished up location this morning and they move again on Friday. That's just about "normal" time. I just don't want to get my hopes up that work is getting back to a busy schedule. A regular paycheck would be nice about now, but.......
I do know that trucking will have moved a rig every day this week. That hasn't happened for about the last six to eight weeks. They have only been moving two to four rigs a week.
The stress of Bill's job situation on top of all the medical junk is really getting to me. The medical situation isn't changing anytime soon so maybe we'll get lucky on the job front. Although for Bill's health, it's better if he has quite a few days off between locations. So the physical and financial are kind of at odds with each other right now.

No comments: