Monday, April 6, 2009

If he (man) is obsessed by a fixed idea which bars him from any freedom of thought, we say, let him be given a good pint of amber flavored chocolate.....and marvels will be performed. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin
Monday
April 6

I had an eye doctor appointment today. I didn't have much of an exam as Dr. Washburn found cataracts. When he asked how my eyes were, I told him they were getting bad. I can see as good without my glasses as with them. He asked me a few questions and then looked in my eyes, sat back and told me I had cataracts.
I gave him the short version of upcoming surgeries and my fear of losing insurance. He told me the fastest way to get it done was to have him refer me to an eye clinic in Garden City, about 1 1/2 hours away. The surgeon that operates there also comes to Colby. But I believe he only comes to Colby once a month and the first appointment would be a consult. He comes weekly to Garden.
So tomorrow I will have my pre op work up and have the cataract on my left eye removed on Wednesday. Fast set up! The right eye will be done three weeks later. The second surgery can be done two weeks later except the surgeon will be out of town that week.
I'm kind of excited. My vision has been going wierd for a while now. It'll be nice to get it back to what is normal for me.
Dr. Washburn says I'm a little young to have cataracts as bad as mine. He thinks they are the result of.....drumroll.............all the prednisone I used to take for my Crohn's! So glad the GI I have now stays away from steroids.

No comments: