Monday, April 20, 2009

Peppermint Patty
3 oz. peppermint schnapps
Yoo-Hoo chocolate drink
Pour peppermint schnapps into highball glass and fill to top with Yoo-Hoo. Stir and serve.
Monday
April 20


LOOK, LOOK, LOOK!! I got an email from Matt Lauer! Oh, wow, I'm so excited, unfortunately he seems to think I need to lose weight. Now how did he know that? Suppose he knows that his face is on this ad? Normally I don't even open up an email that I can't identify the sender, but my curiosity got the best of me. I had to see what his name would be linked with.
I've been sorting old photos. Some as far back as my teen years. I really need to scrapbook. I have a lot of supplies just don't take the time to do it. Looking at all the photos was fun. I'm going to scan them all. I think I'll make DVDs for my siblings as I'm sure I never gave them copies all those years ago. I think I probably took a lot more photos than they did.
There is also a lot of various friends. I'll have to make CDs for them. A trip down memory lane.
My mother passed away fifteen years ago today. She had a stroke one night while she, Dad and my brother, Bob were at a dinner meeting. She was in a coma by the time she got to the hospital and never regained consciousness. She died about 4:00 the next afternoon. I remember that when my sister called to tell me that she had died, on the radio was Reba McEntire singing "The World Doesn't Stop For My Broken Heart." I then knew how true that was, customers kept coming in the door and had no idea that Mom had just died. I also learned that a broken heart, physically hurts, but there is no outward appearance that anything is wrong.
She had been taken by ambulance from a local hospital to the hospital in Hays. I believe they were going to run some tests. She died before any tests were run. My dad had gone in the ambulance with her (said he never wanted another fast ride like that!) and two of my sisters and one of their husbands followed (at a slower speed). I heard that my BIL fainted when they got the news that Mom died.
It was all so surreal, we'd been planning a 45th anniversary party for my folks (they married late) and the announcement was coming out in the local paper the day she died. That just seemed so wrong, but there was no way to stop it.
It was a very long year after that. Things got a little better after the first anniversary. It was hard watching Dad learn to live by himself. I used to sometimes pretend that she was riding in the car with me as I drove back and forth to work, about thirty miles each way. Somehow that helped, I had conversations with her. I knew her well enough that I could come up with her responses. On my days off I spent a lot of time that first year just sitting and watching the kids play. I had no desire to keep myself busy, I just sat (much like I do these days, now that I think about it).
My sisters and I called each other frequently just to say that we were having a bad time.
She was a great woman. I've been told I'm starting to look like her. Now, as much as I loved my mother, I don't really want to look like her!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your mom. Even though its been 15 years, you never stop missing her. I'm glad you have good memories that you can look back on.

I love your photography! Especially the colorful things you capture! You have a good eye and a talent for finding those things many of us would pass by.