Thursday, April 2, 2009

Suggested dippers for chocolate fondue: bananas, strawberries, grapes, pears, raspberries, dried apricots, dates, figs, pound cake, angel food cake, ladyfingers or crisp biscotti.
Thursday
April 2

After work today, Jess & I went shopping. It was pretty fun. My niece, Shanda and her friends had decided to clean out their closets, or rather their mother's closets. The girls are in their mid twenties and all had several formals from dances and weddings. They held a "Prom Dress Sale" in their church basement. Every dress was $20. It didn't matter whether it was homemade or had originally cost $300. After putting fliers up around town and in the high school, other people contacted them and wanted to add their dresses. So they started with about sixty dresses. They had a good turnout.

Shanda is getting married in September. I thought maybe we could find Jess a dress for her wedding. I was right. We found a great dress and this one still had the tag in it! It's black with turquoise trim. Looks great. My sister and I agreed that it would be one that would be easy to alter as we have no idea what size Jess might be in Sept.
My sister had said that if they had a good turnout they might try to make it an annual affair. It was to be up to each seller whether they kept their proceeds or donated them to the Genesis Food Bank.
What I noticed, seeing that many dresses, that span about fifteen years, was that most styles of formals never go out of style. I'm glad we went shopping.

No comments: